SEEKING PROFESSIONAL ARCHIVIST TO JOIN OUR TEAM
Job Title: Archivist
Salary: As per Archives and Records Association (ARA) recommended rates.
Length of Contract: Initial FTC contract for two years, possible permanent placement after initial contract.
Role location: MMM Beechgrove, Drogheda, Co. Louth
The Medical Missionaries of Mary (MMM) is an International Missionary Congregation of women religious founded by Mother Mary Martin in Nigeria, in 1937. Desiring to share Christ’s Healing Love, our members live within marginalised communities focusing on the care of mother and child and the fostering of family life. We go to places where the need is greatest and work in the areas of health, sustainable development and human rights. Presently, MMMs are serving in 12 countries around the world with Sisters coming from 19 countries and are trained in a variety of health-related professions In Ireland, our Motherhouse is in Drogheda Co. Louth.
Medical Missionaries of Mary Archive holds the records of the Medical Missionaries of Mary, a religious congregation of women founded by Mother Mary Martin in 1937. http://www.mmmworldwide.org. The Archivist will be responsible for managing and maintaining these records.
Responsibility for day-to-day archivist duties including enquiries from members of the public, researchers, and users within the MMM Congregation
• Collaborate with other MMM departments and beyond.
• Develop a clear work plan for the archives, operationalise the plan and provide progress reports at intervals, including:
o Plan and facilitate conversion of legacy catalogues for upload into archive cataloguing software, including overseeing installation and implementation of software such as AtoM or Axiell Collections
o Development and implementation of digital preservation strategy
• Ensure the preservation of the MMM collections:
o Advising on the ongoing organisation and storage of archival material
o Preparation for a possible transfer of archive to new storage site
• Maintain and review departmental systems, policies and procedures
• Advising and working with MMM colleagues in Archives Department
• Management of departmental budget
• Such other duties relating to the MMM collections as may arise
• Qualified archivist, with an undergraduate degree and a post-graduate qualification as an archivist, awarded by a recognised third-level institution
• At least three years’ post-qualification experience in archives sector, including some leadership responsibility and/or project delivery
• Demonstrable knowledge of best practice and recent developments in archives and record management, including collections care, preservation and storage, and relevant cataloguing and preservation standards
• Ability to formulate, implement and monitor strategies, procedures and policies for day-to-day running of archive
• High level of IT competency including use of MS Office applications, particularly Word and Excel, and archive cataloguing software
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent administrative skills appropriate to the role, including budget management
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Understanding of copyright and data protection in archival context
• Ability to anticipate and respond to changing professional needs and technical/digital innovations, including through a commitment to continuous professional development
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• This is a stand-alone function so self-motivation is essential.
How to apply:
Letter of application and an up to date CV should be sent to 30 April 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for application is 04 May 2021.