The Leeds Diocesan Archives are based at the Diocesan Pastoral Centre at Headingley in Leeds. They house the episcopal and administrative records of the Diocese of Leeds from its creation in 1878 together with records from the Beverley diocese (1850-1878) and the former Northern and Yorkshire Districts (1780-1850)
The Archives contain a broad range of material including the papers of diocesan bishops, records relating to the clergy of the diocese, its parishes, churches, schools and other institutions. Much of this comprises primary documents but there is also an extensive collection of photographs, plans and drawings of various kinds. Secondary sources include collections of the Catholic Directory from 1806, the annual Leeds Diocesan Directory and diocesan newspapers and magazines from the 1950s onwards. There is also a small library of works on Church history and on the history of Leeds and Yorkshire.
Researchers are welcome to make use of the Archives’ resources and further information about these can be found on our diocesan website. Visits to the Diocesan Archives must be arranged in advance. To obtain up-to-date information about our opening times and to arrange a visit researchers are asked to contact the Diocesan Archivist.
‘The Leeds Diocesan Archives’ by G T Bradley in Catholic Archives No 2 pp 46-51