The Diocese of Middlesbrough was formed in 1878 by division of the Diocese of Beverley into the Dioceses of Leeds and Middlesbrough. It covers the whole of North and East Yorkshire, except for the parish of Howden. The major conurbations are those of the Middlesbrough area (south of the river Tees) together with the cities of York and Hull.
Middlesbrough Diocesan Archive is the main central depository for historical records relating to the Diocese and the Churches within its present boundaries.
- Papers of the Bishops of Middlesbrough:
Correspondence of Bishop Lacy, the first Bishop of Middlesbrough, but very little material from the second, third or fourth bishops
An extensive collection of the personal papers of Bishops Harris and the homilies of Bishop Crowley.
- Parish records:
A large collection of miscellaneous documents from all parishes in the diocese. These include visitation books, church notice books, financial records and papers relating to property;
An extensive collection of older sacramental registers, though a significant number remain in parishes – no registers have been deposited in local record offices.
- Diocesan school records:
Although not as comprehensive as the parish collection, there is some material for most of the schools in the diocese, including closed schools. More significant records, such as admissions registers or log books, have only been deposited here from a small number of schools.
A catalogue of the collection has been compiled in the form of an Access database. The catalogue has a hierarchical structure and so has leanings towards ISAAD (G) but is probably not fully compliant with this standard.
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays