The Society shall be called the Catholic Archives Society.
(1) The Catholic Archives Society is concerned with the records and archives of the Roman Catholic Dioceses and their predecessors and of Roman Catholic foundations in England and Wales, in Scotland and in Ireland.
(2) The Society’s object is to promote the care and preservation of the aforementioned records and the archives in order that
- a) They might be of greater administrative service to the dioceses, religious authorities and other bodies that created them.
- b) They might be accessible for academic research and other cultural purposes.
(3) To attain its object the Society shall promote appropriate activities and in particular the following
- a) Identification and listing of the aforementioned records and archives.
- b) Provision of technical advice to members and the exchange of information.
- c) Promotion of training opportunities where appropriate.
- d) Arrangement of an annual conference/seminar.
- e) Publication of information.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
There shall be an annual General Meeting of the Society.
Membership is open to all who are interested in the Society’s objectives as set out above.
There shall be an annual subscription to the Society, the rate of which shall be determined from time to time by the Annual General Meeting of the Society.
Nine council members shall be elected for three years and be eligible for one further re-election.
Each year the Council will elect from its membership a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer.
All such officers shall be honorary and shall serve for one year with possibility of a further term but no more than three years in total.
The retiring Chairperson becomes automatically a member of the council for the following year.
There will always be a representative of the Editorial Board present at Council meetings.
The Council shall have power to appoint sub-committees and to co-opt not more than two others members for the purpose of carrying out specific projects.
AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION
Amendments to the Constitution shall be made at the Annual General Meeting.